Re: [OM] Free image viewer, editor, was: Morning snow squall...

Subject: Re: [OM] Free image viewer, editor, was: Morning snow squall...
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 20:57:52 -0400
Thanks Chuck. Will look.

On Apr 9, 2016 7:57 PM, "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I recommend FastStone Image Viewer. <
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm>  It started life as strictly
an image browser/viewer modeled after (my favorite) the BreezeBrowser image
viewer.  As time went along it picked up some more of its own character and
started adding basic editing functions. I still prefer BreeezeBrowser as an
image viewer but BreezeBrowser is anything but free and does no editing at
all... instead passing the image to an external editor such as Photoshop
(or many others).  Actually, FastStone can pass an image to an external
editor also.

> FastStone is what I recommend to my kids because, although its editing
capabilities are limited, it still has far more editing function than they
will ever use.

> Perhaps its biggest drawback is that it's volunteer programmer/creator is
like most of the programmers I've ever worked with... they like writing
code but hate writing documentation on how to use stuff or how and why it
works internally.  This guy is no different but a volunteer writer stepped
up and created some basic documentation on how to use it... available here.
<http://www.faststone.org/FSIVTutorial.htm>  But if you check the file
dates you'll see that the app was updated last year but the documentation
hasn't been updated in 5 years.

> Despite all that the documentation is good enough to get you started and
after you get yourself familiar with it you'll probably be able to figure
out the rest by playing with it.

> If you read the development version history on the first link above
you'll see what function is in it.

> ps:  One of it most useful functions, modeled after BreezeBrowser, is a
2, 3 or 4-up comparison.  Very useful if you have a number of very similar
images and are trying to compare and whittle down to the best. You can find
it under the tools menu or the double pine trees icon.  The scroll wheel
will zoom the images.  Tags for each allow you choose which to keep or
discard as image selection can be controlled with the tags.