Re: [OM] [OT] Some wood working tricks...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Some wood working tricks...
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:55:55 -0400
Good tip, Chuck. I'll try it as soon as the temps allow me to work on my
unheated garage.

Larry, decent shop tools last a long time. My table saw is a Wards, from
the same era.

On Apr 7, 2016 6:54 PM, "Larry Griffin via olympus" <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Chuck filed your post away. I'm hoping to buy a house with a shop
in the near future. I was given a small wood shop worth of Delta power
tools ca 1938, and by darn I'm going to put them use even if I'm 70.

> On 04/07/2016 02:58 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>>
>> I haven't been doing much photography lately for 2 reasons.  The first
is that I have a problem with my left leg (that makes it difficult to sit)
and my right heel (that makes it difficult to walk).  However, I can stand
pretty well.  So instead of walking around taking pictures I've been busy
building the workbench I've been putting off for the past year.

>> This work bench will have 12 drawers (you can never have too many
drawers) but building good drawers is moderately difficult and I haven't
done any significant woodworking in about 40 years.  I'm at the point now
where I've got to start building the drawers and knew I'd do better if I
had some sort of jig.  I've been looking around and found these simple jigs
on YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSX2Pp-KdZk>.  I haven't tried
to use them yet but just built 4 of them.  They also went together with
glue and screws easier than I'm used to due to the next tip.

>> From the same guy (in another video) I also learned this very simple but
very useful tip.  Have you ever been frustrated by the slippery nature of
wood glue when trying to nail or screw 2 parts together with glue in
between?  The 2 pieces want to slip-slide around and it's difficult to
maintain precise positioning even with clamps.  The solution is table
salt.  Just sprinkle a *little* bit on the glued area.  You'll find that it
works like sand on ice.  Those little salt granules will grip both pieces
and help hold them where you want them.