Re: [OM] Apartment Door in Kendallville

Subject: Re: [OM] Apartment Door in Kendallville
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:23:28 -0500
Very interesting. I notice a lot of older facades around town as well - and
it's always interesting to see when a building is being remodeled the
original details that have been hiding for years behind an awning.

Unfortunately, there was a period of time in the late 80's and early 90's
where the fashion was to cover up the old brickwork and details with
architecural styrofoam glued on and then sprayed with stucco.  Looked
hideous, and then years later when they try to remove it, they're left with
bits of foam and adhesive stuck to the old brick.  One building in town had
a billboard for a long-gone diner painted on it - foam got glued right over
the top.  No respect for history.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Christopher Crawford <
chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This door, with an intricately carved wooden archway above it, shows the
> kind of beautiful detailing that was once commonplace on "Main Street"
> buildings in the Midwestern United States. Many of these buildings have
> survived in small towns, like this one in Kendallville, Indiana.
>
> http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=2336
>
> --
> Chris Crawford
> Fine Art Photography