Re: [OM] Nik Collection free

Subject: Re: [OM] Nik Collection free
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 16:47:07 -0700
On 3/24/2016 3:51 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Hmmm!

That worries me.  It means that the software will not be developed further;  I
don’t think that it has been updated in a year or two.

It's very Googlesque. They stopped developing Picasa some time ago, but let it go on as is. Their business model clearly involves dropping development of any product that isn't meeting revenue projections.

OTOH, unlike smaller companies, they continue to make it available, rather than disappear. Assuming that it's a mature and useful product, as others have attested, it should remain so for quite a while. I'm looking forward to playing with it - after the next umpteen things to first are done.

I still do a bit of software maintenance and updating for my old client. The software development environment and tools I use haven't been updated in many years, but work as well now, close to perfectly, as they did then. In fact, part of what I do is based in an earlier version of the environment - gotta be 25 years old, if it's a day. There is an OS problem, as it won't operate in a 32 bit OS, although the programs it develops will.

So I'm a sort of virtual ChrisT, running a virtual XP machine under Win7, and still in business, although I have no idea what their latest email is about. :-)

Virtually Antlered Moose