[OM] OT: Science Fiction History

Subject: [OM] OT: Science Fiction History
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 08:03:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     One of the broadcast movie channels here in Phoenix, 45.2, has changed
their format slightly.  Instead of editing movies to fit a 2-hour time frame,
they are instead playing the full movie (so they say) and filling in the
remaining half-hour time with short films.  Some are actor/actress biographies,
and some are genre histories, most of which are excerpts from "100 Years of
Science Fiction," "100 years of Horror," and "100 Years of Terror."  One of
these has an episode about dinosaurs in movies, and I think it's part of the
second one, which is presently in the mail.

     I got a copy of the first one yesterday, thinking it had the dinosaur
episode, and watched it in the evening.  It's a pretty good series, broken down
into various topics and hosted by Christopher Lee.  Watching this I learned
that the screen debut of Leonard Nimoy was that of the Martian invader Narab in
"Zombies of the Stratosphere":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045352/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_131

     I also learned that Robert Vaughn tried to buy and destroy all of the
prints of "Teenage Cave Man":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052279/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_215

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson