Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong--now sliderule/calculators

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong--now sliderule/calculators
From: Michael Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:34:48 -0400
Cc: Michael Gordon <usher99@xxxxxxx>
Calculating Moose wrote:

I think I still have one like this in my basement.
<http://public.beuth-hochschule.de/hamann/facit/f-ca1/facit-ca1.jpg> Soooo much
cuter than the big boys, but stone slow by comparison.
Apropos the thread that ended up here, here's one calculating π.
<http://ytune.pk/watch/-327eDxal-E/calculation-of-pi-nearly-on-a-facit-ca1-13-electric-pinwheel-calculator.html>

Very cool-- thanks for posting that.  Never have seen a mechanical critter in
action.  Used 355/113 in the video which is a very good practical approximation
of Pi.

Pi clearly is not convenient.  Not to get too political but reminds me of the
attempt by the Indiana legislature in 1897 to mandate the value of Pi as 16/5.
I think that has some biblical reference of some sort.
Fortunately a mathematics professor was present and it became thoroughly
ridiculed and tabled.

Mike