Re: Slide rules

Subject: Re: Slide rules
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 13:47:31 -0700
On 3/17/2016 4:18 AM, Dean Hansen wrote:
Hi Chris, HI Moose, Hi Mike, Hi Jim,
     Chris posted on the OM List:  "Did you know you can add using a slide rule?"
Reminds me of a joke a physicist friend told me:

     Noah was cleaning up the Ark after all the pairs of animals had disembarked, and he came across a pair of snakes hiding in the lower hold.  "You can go now," said Noah.  "Go forth, and be fruitful and multiply."
     "Ah, but we can't multiply," replied one of the snakes sadly.  "You see, we're adders."
     Noah scratched his head, pondered for a moment, and then sent for his sons for some help.  In just a few minutes they had gathered up some stray logs and constructed a table out of these logs,
    "Now, snakes, you can use this," said Noah.
    For Noah knew that even adders can multiply on a log table.

     Groan.

Indeed!

More  memories, long disused. I do recall adding numbers from log and log log tables. To get greater accuracy than from a slide rule? Where? When? For what purpose?

Moose