Re: [OM] OT: Now Everyone Has Done It!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Now Everyone Has Done It!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:01:51 -0500 (EST)
     The weather for this past 12 months has been pretty extreme.  We had our
first landfall of an eastern Pacific category-5 hurricane, the earliest
formation of a north Atlantic hurricane, and record high and low temperatures
everywhere, plus record rainfalls.

     The "atmospheric river" that is presently inundating eastern Texas and
beyond is the result of a teardrop low that is pushing the jet stream as far
south as the border between Mexico and Honduras.  I don't recall ever having
seen it pushed that far south, and the southward movement will peak today.  The
rainfall from that is going to continue for a few more days, gradually moving
northward and eastward.

     My greatest concern is with the expanding band of much warmer than average
sea temperatures along the Eastern Seaboard, now more than 8ºC above average in
a few places.  I'm quite certain that this is due to the sublimation of frozen
methane clathrates along the edge of the continental shelf.

>>      It's official:  This winter has been the warmest on record, a full
>>4.6F above average.  Some day everyone will be frying eggs on the sidewalk.
>
>Any relation to the fact that El Nino has been record setting this winter?
>
>AG
>--

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson