[OM] Olympus to pay $646M over kickbacks and bribes to doctors, hospita

Subject: [OM] Olympus to pay $646M over kickbacks and bribes to doctors, hospitals - The Morning Call
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:39:43 +1300

Tim Hughes posted: "...Scope vendors like Olympus make money selling
washing equipment and fluids to disinfect endoscopes...."

as quoted by
Dean ..
Having been on the receiving end of cystoscopic exams of my
bladder with an
Olympus cystoscope about 20 times, I've occasionally
wondered if the good
doctor using the thing can guarantee absolute
disinfecting of the
instrument following its use on someone with, say,
an STD or, worse, HIV
infection. So far, so good--I'll trust him. Unlike
an endoscope, where
the image is visible to the patient and doctor on a
monitor, the OM
cystoscope has what is essentially like a microscope
eyepiece for the
doctor to look through. During one exam, I surprised my
urologist and
asked if I could take a peek through the instrument.
"Certainly," he
replied. He said that he'd never had a single patient
ask that. Sorry, no
pictures taken, but it's quite an interesting and,
in a sense, pretty,
view--the inside wall of ones bladder is nearly
white with an easily
visible network of red capillaries. Yeh, kinda
pretty, actually. Damn,
wish I'd gotten a picture to put on Facebook.
Next time, perhaps.
Dean
Quite a few yers ago I
was put through a rectal examination to check if I had any of the 3
forms of cancer up there that my father had.

This involved a 3-day
fasting prior, and a long tube with light, camera and possibly a lens
wash, fed up my rear end for what seemed like an interminable distance.
The doctors were watching on a big TV screen, and i asked if I could
watch too. It was utterly fascinating; a long light-blue-ish pink cavern
with puddles of water on the floor and corrugated sides (diverticula, I
was told). Then at some point they retracted the camera and i had the
view going out.

On another occasion I had what was suspected to be a
heart attack ( it was highly likely to have been caused by taking
Voltaren capsules to deal with sciatica) and I had several heart
examinations using ultrasound. I was able to watch one of my heart
valves - like a triangular canopy - flapping happily away without
problems. Fascinating.

Brian