Re: [OM] Color... At last!

Subject: Re: [OM] Color... At last!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:43:06 -0800
(Edited to include MikeG's comments before sending)

On 2/29/2016 10:02 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:

I also noted that there is a close-up adapter for the 14-150. MCON-P01. Anyone
have it and can comment?

Interesting coincidence this question at this time asking to be it is. (Take
that, Yoda!)

The Big Brown Truck should be by any time now to deliver an MCON-P02. <http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/mlens/mconp02/index.html>

Here's the sheet on the same site for the MCON-P01.
<http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/mlens/mconp01/index.html>

The headline difference is that the P01 is a single element lens, while the P02 is a cemented doublet. (Nice naming, as it both gives the number of elements and the order of introduction.)

Secondary difference, and important to you, is the P01 is 58 mm thread, native to the 14-150, while the P02 is 46 mm, with included step down adapter to 37 mm.

As a single element C-U lens, I doubt there's any difference between the P01 and a generic coated C-U lens. If they were using exotic glass or aspheric surfaces, I'm sure they would trumpet that. The problem with a single element is poor correction of spherical aberration. Not much problem with a +1, and a +2 is fine for casual use, but anything more and they start to really degrade IQ.

The makers all knew this, and most made achromat (2-element) C-U lenses back in the old days. Here's a list of what was available many years ago. <http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html> Last I checked, only one Nikon was available new; I suspect they were still selling old stock. The Canon is still current, as it fits the 58 mm lens adapters on the G series.

Oly never got into that for OM. Probably figured that anyone serious would be choosing from their extensive line of macro lenses and gear. But they went all out for the IS/L lines of fixed lens SLRs, including the only 3-element C-U lens the compiler of this list knew of.

Used to be, one could easily these figure these things out. With primes of fixed focal length that focused by moving the whole lens back and forth, calculations of magnification from C-U lenses and extension tubes was straightforward. Now, with internal focusing lenses, close focus is generally accomplished/accompanied by decreased focal length. Without knowing the actual focal length at closest focus, it's not possible to calculate magnifications.

Oly does provide, at the above links, maximum magnifications and focal ranges for the lenses they recommend using the C-U lenses with.

Although I've had true macro lenses for most of my photographic life, I've always also been interested ways to get closer without carrying separate lenses. I have the 49 & 55 mm versions of the Oly IS/L C-U lenses, with 49-46 mm step-down adapter and 55-58 mm step-up adapters to make them fit some of my µ4/3 lenses.

I tried carrying around the small one with my GM1 and 12-32 mm zoom, and also carrying a 10 mm tube with that kit. I ended up preferring the tube. It's the same size, but quite a bit lighter, so doesn't change the camera's balance, either. And it just seemed to work better for me. In favor of the lens is that it doesn't open up the camera body all the time.

With my new 35-100 mm zoom, I used the tube a lot, and it worked well, but I am a little worried about filling up my camera with pocket lint. :-) I tried a couple of quick comparison shots, tube vs. achromat C-U lens, but didn't do a very careful job. And I noticed yet again that the old lenses also have old coatings. The 49 mm, in particular, seems to have early single coating, while the 55 looks more like early multi.

In any case, looking at all those bright reflections in the A-Macro, I figured they couldn't be good. When I checked, and found that the newish MCON-P02 is an achromat with contemporary coatings, I decided to check it out. So I hope to get it together to do a tube vs. old achromat vs. new achromat comparison one day soon.

-- WOW! I waited for the MCON-P02 to arrive (actual weight below) - and the difference in coatings is spectacular.* The new lens is like a black hole for reflections, compared to the A-Macro.

Another factor you should consider is weight, and where it sits. 97 g out on the end of an extended 14-150 REALLY changes the balance of the camera/lens. I think the lens is well made to handle it, as long as one doesn't wave it around briskly.

10 mm tube = 22 g
16 mm tube = 27 g

49 mm A-Macro = 70 g
55 mm B-Macro = 97 g
  (with adapters to µ4/3 thread sizes)

MCON P01 spec. = 23 g
MCON P02 spec. = 52 g (w/adapter)
MCON P02       = 48 g(w/o/adapter)
Marumi 58mm DHG Macro +3 330 Achromat = No one seems to list a weight for this one. As a 2-element 55 mm weighs almost 100 g, I'm guessing something not far south of 150 g.
Canon 250D +4  =  77 g.
Nikon 5T +1.5  =  71 g(w/adapter)