Re: [OM] IMG: Repair of WWII Concrete

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Repair of WWII Concrete
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:08:49 -0600
Hi Chris,

This area being repaired is an old parking area, now serving as the base for two rows of private hangars. I took another walk this morning, and they had one more pour needed to finish. The old concrete appeared to be 12 inches thick, and not reinforced.

I have never seen a cut in one of the runways, so I can't say how thick they are, or whether or not they were reinforced.

The mixer lorry is a common design that we see here all the time. I have never examined one in detail, but they seem to have a powerplant at the back, and deliver the concrete out the front, so the operator can remain in the cab. They are awkward looking, but seem to be very efficient.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA