Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:07:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Yes, I have one.  Back in 1977 I was in the process of leaving active
duty.  I had been accepted for graduate school at Penn State and had an
application pending to fly EC-130's for the Pennsylvania ANG (PANG).  I flew a
C-130H up to Schenectady, New York to deliver a casket with the remains of a
poor fellow who had died in a HALO jump, along with the escort to take it to
Long Island.  While there I got to see the New York ANG's C-130D's, the
ski-equipped versions that served the DEW line in Canada and Greenland.  I
mentioned that I was leaving active duty to attend graduate school and fly with
PANG.  They offered me a position right there.

     I had plenty of time to think it over, but graduate school was the
deciding factor.  Looking back, if I had chosen to take the NYANG I could have
flown the largest airplane on skis, plus go to Antarctica once in a while after
the Navy retired their fleet and turned the operation over to the NYANG.  That
would have been the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

>"I guess things might have turned out differently for me if I had held on
>to the Summer crush on the cute little girl from Ottumwa in 1946. :-)"
>
>There are a dozen photos pinned on the wall above my computer monitor.  One
>is a color shot of my thesis advisor with a certain 22-year-old entomology
>graduate student, she standing akimbo, at the Itasca Biology Station back
>in 1964.  What if, what if, indeed!  What a summer!  Anyone else with some
>"what ifs" in their life?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson