Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL

Subject: Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:43:54 -0500

On 2/13/2016 2:55 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I don't know of any one who will service it but there is a fair amount of info on web. Do a Google search using
mamiya/sekor 500 DTL repair

where you'll find this Butkus link
<http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/mamiya_1000dtl/1000dtl.htm>
which will get you both a user's manual and a "service" manual which, like many service manuals, is nothing but a parts list.

Wow, that manual brought back some memories. :)

Thanks for all the links and the work you did to find them. You must have a lot of free time. :)

I'm very handy at fixing things but the 500DTL I think I'll leave to a professional. The prism definitely needs cleaning, the shutter speeds, especially the slow ones, are way off and the light meter even though it functions, the needle changes its position when moving the camera from a horizontal position to a vertical one. It's weird.

I just picked up my OM1 that John had worked on some years back and it handles and functions just like it did all those years ago. It's like new. I miss my champagne OM4.

FYI... the 500 DTL and 1000 DTL are exactly the same camera with the exception that the 1000 DTL has 1/1000 max shutter vs 1/500 on the 500 DTL. The parts list shows what's different between the two.

There are some excellent YouTube links as well. This shows the 1000 but the 500 is the same. This one shows removal of the top cover and removal and cleaning of the prism.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmJQ86nRYQ>
Pretty simple as cameras go. But there is some sage advice there that you should not ignore. When removing screws he doesn't pay much attention to the driver used for slotted screws but does caution to use JIS drivers on the cross-point screws. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standards. JIS cross-point screws look like Philips screws but they are not. If you use a Philips driver you may damage them. <http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/jis-japanese-industrial-standard/view-all-products.html>

This is about the cheapest way to get set up
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-5Pc-Pollicis-/401070166898?hash=item5d61a51372:g:HSgAAOSwx-9WvLlU>
This is what I own. A bit more expensive but more convenient
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-4Pc-Pollicis-/401070166710?hash=item5d61a512b6:g:ZgEAAOSwzgRWvLmK>
Good tools and Micro-Tools is a good seller.

This was billed as an attempt at shutter repair but there was nothing wrong with the shutter. I does show you how to remove the bottom plate which is also quite simple.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjduzhlHlGc>

There's more stuff in the Google search. I leave you to filter out the rest.

Chuck Norcutt