Re: [OM] Diffraction effects, was: New image with new(in part) gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffraction effects, was: New image with new(in part) gear
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:14:37 -0500
OK, now I've read Roger's article... maybe even re-read it since it was published almost 3 years ago. I think I have a much different take on it (minus the deconvolution stuff). If you read his article closely, when he says "diffraction ain't so bad" he is comparing resolution at small apertures to resolution at max or near max apertures. He is not comparing resolution at small apertures to resolution at optimum apertures for minimizing diffraction.

In the theoretical optical world a lens at widest aperture should have the optimal resolution. In the real optical world there are many more optical gremlins that affect images at large apertures than at small apertures. For example, take his results using the Nikon 50/1.4 on the D3X. Average resolution is only about 325 at f/1.4. Maximum resolution of about 810 occurs at f/8. But f/16 shows the effect of diffraction by knocking resolution back down by about 25% to about 610. What Roger is actually saying is that resolution of 610 looks pretty good compared to 325 wide open. You have to close down 3 stops to f/4 to even equal the f/16 result. What his results do show is that diffraction has a very real effect and starts taking its toll about where theory says it should.

I'm not sure why this stuff should be surprising. If I'm shooting at f/1.4 - f/4 I'm probably shooting something like a portrait. Maximum resolution is hardly my goal. If I'm a macro shooter I also (now, after Moose has beat it into me) accept that increased depth of field can often improve the overall image even though maximum resolution may not be achieved at the point of focus. Where I really do want maximum resolution is in landscapes where I'm probably using hyperfocal methods. I've shot many more landscapes with the 5D than any other camera and have always used f/11 as the aperture limit to avoid diffraction effects. I have never found f/11 to be a limiting factor in nearest focus with hyperfocal methods. In other words, I have found it to be perfectly acceptable for total depth of field.

Where all of this stuff starts to break down in the field is the effect of wind or vibration on "optimal" resolution. Or, after the fact, use of sharpening methods to improve at least the appearance of greater resolution. I don't know how to evaluate any of that numerically.

I've been perfectly happy shooting my landscapes using theoretically derived diffraction limits and have no reason to change. In any case, I've never been able to count the lines of resolution in trees or grass or clouds and have no idea what's actually be achieved. It either looks good or doesn't.

Chuck Norcutt

I would advise  Dr. D. to stay away from hospitals and pay closer attention to
the list. :-)

My original link to his article was here:

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2013-05/msg02068.html

To cut to the chase and Roger's article:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/03/overcoming-my-fentekaphobia

The exact  diffraction effects are further complicated  by de-mosaicing
algorithms combine the output of multiple Bayer-arrayed photosites.

Ya can't get no less diffraction, but you can try,  Mike