Re: [OM] OT-- Preferred hiking app with no cellular, connection?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT-- Preferred hiking app with no cellular, connection?
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:30:59 -0800
I don't have a 'smart' phone but friends like Gaia GPS too. For a regular gps I found the talkytoaster maps to be the best....and free for UK. <https://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/>

However there are ways to use an online map without a signal too. I've been working on that here where we have lots of blind spots and a maze of trails where many people have gotten "turned around".. The basic idea is to cache the map tiles before leaving service area. So the bigger the cache the better. I've been setting up our website with the help of Joseph at gmap4. You also have to make sure that the phone's gps is on and has downloaded the current almanac from a satellite or tower. This will take at least 20min with no tower contact.

here is a link to the webmap I set up for the island. It has a brief explanation of how to set the phone up and a link to Joey's gmap4 detailed direction. Open the embedded map full screen. I would suggest the cycleworld openstreet map. The focus is cycling but a lot of trails are shown too. A great resource even if you don't use it on the trail.

<http://sanjuanislandtrails.org/web-map/>
<http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=46.920255,8.173828&z=8&t=t8>

Mike