Re: [OM] it's been a long time

Subject: Re: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:10:30 -0600
On 1/25/16 10:13 : , Ken Norton wrote:
And the care and feeding of vinyl is fairly trivial compared to the hassles of
RTR tape. But tape can sound really good.  (2-track stereo 15+ ips or more like
from a safety master)
Since 1995, I've been consulting and contracting on tape recovery. I'm
currently working with a college that has over 5000 recordings that
need bake-and-scrape. At the moment they are doing it all in-house,
but I've put in a bid to digitize some of it. If I get the bid, I'll
outsource part of the project to Paul.
Nice. I would be happy to. I have a Technics RS-1500US with the 1/4-track head, will do 15ips and 10" reels. I also have a TEAC A-3300XS with the 1/2-track headblock that will also do 15ips and 10" reels (after I buy myself a 10" takeup reel and the NAB hubs). I have two different dbx units as well, just in case. I also have a food dehydrator that I think is the one that people use to bake 1/4" tapes. Anything larger, like 1" or 2", requires a bigger oven with much better temp control. I've never baked a tape before, so I would obviously want to practice on something non-epic.

I also have a almost-high-end Sony Minidisc deck, a reasonably high-end Onkyo cassette deck, a TASCAM DAT deck, and a Technics Elcaset deck that needs a little CLA and probably new belts. Who would have thought that collecting all that old junk would actually come in handy some day?

I'd love a higher-end cassette deck, but the Technics RS-9900 still goes for roughly $2k with the amp section, and the Nakamichi Dragon is still $1500. If business dictates, I will look into the investment. For now, the Onkyo is doing nicely.

The one thing I need to teach myself is the care and feeding of tape machines. I need to find proper alignment tapes and the proper demag and cleaning tools. Service manuals are available from several sources.

3. High-speed tape (I've used 30 ips systems, too). Those were the
only things that could keep up with NEVE consoles in frequency
response. 30 ips was not common and was in use in only a handful of
studios and was only used for limited stuff as it was a beast to keep
from self-destructing in spectacular ways. 16 tracks at 15 ips was
hard enough to keep from destroying the equipment.
I can imagine how that would get ugly in a really big hurry...

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie