Re: [OM] Faces of Iraq, 1991

Subject: Re: [OM] Faces of Iraq, 1991
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:19:50 -0500
Tina posted:

"I have added another exhibit to the Social Documentary site:
http://socialdocumentary.net/exhibit/Tina_Manley/3389
I would appreciate your viewing and commenting when you get a chance."

     In trying to make some sense of what's going on in the world, I've
been going through a number of books lately.  I just finished "What
Terrorists Want" (Random House, 2006) by Louise Richardson.  I'd highly
recommend it.  Here are some quotes:
     "A UNICEF report issued in 1999 indicated that 500,000 children under
the age of five died between 1991 and 1998 in Iraq due largely to the
impact of the [UN] sanctions."  (Page 219)
     "Two successive UN officials in charge of the program resigned to
protest the humanitarian catastrophe over which they were presiding."
(Page 219)
     "Haliday [one of the officials who resigned] went on to describe the
complete breakdown in civil society in Iraq as a result of the privations
imposed by sanctions, and, remarking on the growth of fundamentalist
Islamic thinking, he declared, in 1998, 'We are pushing people to take
extreme positions.' "  (Page 220)
     From Osama bin Laden, August, 1996, "More than 600,000 Iraqi children
have died due to lack of food and medicine and as a result of the
unjustifiable aggression [sanctions] imposed on Iraq and its nation."
(Page 92)  He wanted revenge.
     The book is a very enlightening and prophetic, if disturbing, read.
     Tina:  Many thanks for posting the photos from your stay in Iraq.
Many were disturbing.  I was moved by what you were able to do.
Dean