Re: [OM] state-sponsored theft of intellectual property

Subject: Re: [OM] state-sponsored theft of intellectual property
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:09:39 +0100
Hi Mike,

This looks like some consulting firm peddling a report. Since I do not have
$5000 in loose change, I am not going to read it.

That said, China’s IP theft is not so much about copyright infringement, but
more about patent and trade mark (and to a lesser degree design) infringement.
Both the US and the EU are working hard to get the Chinese to take IP rights
more seriously, and some headway is being made. However, I suspect that Chinese
respect for IP will increase not as a result of outside pressure but rather as
a result of Chinese companies having brands and know-how worth protecting. This
is beginning to happen—think of brands like Lenovo, Haier, Huawei etc.

Taking a historical perspective, with respect to IP China today is like the US
in the 19th century.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman