[OM] Focal Length Trends

Subject: [OM] Focal Length Trends
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:59:07 -0600
Da Moose wrote stuff about what focal lengths he uses and doesn't use.
This got me thinking about my own trends. Fortunately, all of my
digital cameras record focal length, except when legacy OM lenses are
used. As far as the OM system is concerned, I know how I've gone
through different phases in my life.

The one thing that is clear is that for me, the 55-80mm focal length
range (35mm format equivalent, which will be used throughout this
post), is almost totally absent in my usage. The Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8
zoom, which I really liked, was used almost extensively from 35mm to
50mm, but when going long, it was never long enough and was
essentially just a cropped 50mm shot.

The 35-80 zoom, is used mostly in the wides and all the way at 80mm.
Fortunately, this lens has a signature look which is about the lens,
not the focal length, so using it at 70mm or so isn't so much a
problem.

135mm is certainly an oddball focal length for me and I have rarely
used it in anger. I much prefer either 100mm or 200mm lenses as the
lens formulas produce more of the look I'm seeking.

When I got into the OM system, my first two lenses were the 35/2.8 and
100/2.8. I could have stopped right there, but I added a whole fleet
of lenses through the years. The 28mm and 135mm were never my
favorites. At some point, I was shooting 24mm and 200mm almost
exclusively. Eventually, i got normalized a bit again.

In the OM system, I'm using mostly the 28mm and 100mm lenses right nor
for B&W and the 35-80 for color.

For the most part, my current usage is 28mm and 80mm in digital, but
that's because of the lens I have.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx