Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:53:11 -0800
On 1/12/2016 5:13 PM, Don Holbrook wrote:
Vivitar & Tamron both made one, if you need 2.8 (the Tamron is 2.8-3.8).

Tamron made two very different lenses with similar FLs and speed. The later one is a straight 35-105/2.8. Like the Oly, it doesn't focus very close. Mike G's a fan, so the one I had lives with him since his copy died. And actually gets used, which wouldn't be true here.

The other is the 35-80 2.8-3.8. A different beast with exceptional C-U ability, going to 1:2.5 at the long end. I've had some excellent results with it. It has quite a complex mechanism linking zoom and C-U/macro, which failed on my first copy. But they were cheap used, and easier than taking it apart ...

The OMZ 35-105/3.5-4.5 is also an excellent lens, with better C-U ability than the 35-80, although only moderate. It also looks just fabulous on an OM-4(T(i)). :-)

  The best looking µ4/3 combo is 12-50 on E-PL2.

The Oly still runs close to 1000 over here.

And, according to AG and his acolytes, has Special Sauce not available on the
others.

Fasnionista Moose