Re: [OM] OT: Ancient Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Ancient Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:40:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> "War of the Worlds" for me.  I was 10.
>>
>> Chuck Norcutt
>
>Another George Pal classic! I found that one on DVD, too, I need to read
>the book. :)
>
>also looking for 'The Time Machine'...

     Don't bother with the remake.  It was awful!  Another movie from that era
worth finding is "First Men In the Moon", an adaptation of an H.G. Wells novel
with the special effects by Harryhausen.  Speaking of stop motion, somewhere
around dhere I have a VHS copy of the original silent version of "The Lost
World".  It was one of the first films to use stop-motion animation, and the
artist put balloons in the critters to simulate breathing.  There's a wonderful
fight between a Tyranosaurus (sp?) and a Pteryldactyl (sp?), similar to the
fight scene in "The Valley of Gwangi".

     This thread has me looking for all sorts of scifi/horror movies that I
haven't seen in decades, like "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" and "Crack In the
World".  I did find a copy of "The H-Man", but I can't find a copy of "Gorath",
both of which are interesting flicks from Toho Studios, who brought us
Godzilla, Mothra, and a bunch of other monsters.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson