Re: [OM] Last of 2015

Subject: Re: [OM] Last of 2015
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 22:01:11 -0800

<<BTW, shot in HR, which makes no difference at web size but for different
<<rendering of the lights and flare.

Nice and bright  way to start off 2016.  Hmmm,  noise should be reduced and
color more accurate, but what does HR do to the lights and flare?

I don't know much about noise, as there were tripod mounted ISO 100 shots. And who knows about normal colors, as this is all LEDs. But some interesting, and surprising other results.

I've tossed some samples up on my web space:
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Temp/ChristmasLights/>
(Caution, large files, the first about 1 GB.)

_B3130101.psd is simply a full size HR Raw file, saved as PSD.

_B313099-100-dwn.psd is an HR image of the tree, downsampled to match the normal mode shot and laid in a layer over the normal shot. V. interesting differences in details and handling of highlights.

_B313102-3cr.psd is HR of a bouquet of LEDs at two exposures, full pixel, but
cropped, and overlaid in layers.

_B313102-5dwn-cr.psd is the same two HR exposures, downsampled to match the
normal res shots, then set over them in layers.

This really shows how much more detail is resolved in the downsampled HR shots than otherwise identical exposures at normal resolution. Something I don't recall the reviews mentioning. I can get my head around reasons why it would be so, but didn't expect it to be so strong. Also, some interesting stuff happening with colors and highlights.

Downsampling by Perfect Resize 9, nee Genuine Fractals (but now with much
poorer handling in Actions.)

Big Eyes Moose