Re: [OM] IMG: Please

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 21:15:02 -0800
On 12/29/2015 2:15 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
Moose: That's an interesting take on it. It does indeed bring the dog out. But it also negates a lot of the lighting on the faces, which I liked. And all the added blur looks a bit artificial to my eyes.

Roll-overs are a blessing and a curse. They allow minute, careful comparison - and they put the new version on trial. :-) I have often found that a change that seems just too much when flipping back and forth stands very well on its own, when left without the comparison for a while.

One of my tests is to go away from both for a while, doing something else, then come back to just the revision. Usually/often, the revised version is quite nice on its own. Then again, I've been known to go overboard, 'cause it's fun. :-)

For this one, people/midground, dog and background are separate layers, so all the factors could be adjusted in dependently, simply by varying opacities.

You and Mike are right that the dog is a little hard to see at first. Initially, I felt that I liked that--you don't notice him at first, and then his presence kind of sneaks up on you and it makes the joke funnier. Chuck's reaction was what I was hoping for.

I also just noticed that flickr is displaying my photos at 1024 pixels wide even when I generate them at 1200 pixels. That meant that they "adjusted" things their own way. Which may have made the dog less visible. So I'm putting things on the LUG gallery for the comparison below.

Here's my little tweak. I'd already masked the dog and given him higher "clarity" (local contrast) and a bit extra sharpening. So I dodged him about a third of a stop lighter. It does make you notice him sooner. The thing is, I know what color the dog is (*very* dark grey). So does the owner (the cellist), and I play on making her a print. This is about as far as I'd go:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/music/MaraCarlXmas2015/L1101407dodg.jpg.html>
Here's the original on the same site, for comparison:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/music/MaraCarlXmas2015/L1101407.jpg.html>

Do you think the "dodged" (lighter) dog is better/enough?

Switching hosts is a big improvement already. I'm not sure the lighter dog is an improvement. Perhaps a curves adjustment, overall light/contrast adjustment, rather than overall lightening?

Dogged Moose