Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:26:53 -0800
On 12/29/2015 4:47 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Moose wrote

It seems to me ...

Curious about this stuff, I took a couple of
casual FS shots of a micro landscape in a pot outside our front door.
Hand
held, AF, AE, AISO, in other words, something one could shoot
anywhere, without planning or special effort.

Simple comparison, no
adjustment of any kind by me other than downsizing for the web.

<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TG-4_Focus/PC280034.htm
[1]>

This one came with overcooked highlights. I pulled them down,
pretty good retention in the JPEG, raised shadows just a
tiny bit, so
it wasn't just a black hole, and tried out post downsizing deconvolution
sharpening.

<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TG-4_Focus/PC280036.htm
[2]>

I think that's pretty amazing in a tiny, cheap, consumer
camera!

///////////////////////////
What a revelation.
In one hit Olympus seem to have rendered redundant my prized set of several
very good macro lenses.
Well, maybe not quite, but it's amazing.
Unfair~~!

Only partially true. As the owner of 50/3.5 x2, 80/4 Auto, 135/3.5, 90/2 (ex), Tamron 90/2.5 & matching telextender, Kiron 105/2.8. Tamron 90/2.8 for EOS, M.Z. 60/2.8, and perhaps some other macro lens I've forgotten, I don't feel bad.

What Oly has done is make it far easier to do things that all those beauties can do - but only with a lot of fuss and bother.

Focus stacking in not new to Oly, it's been going on for a long time. But it's tedious, and has to be of stuff that holds still for a long time. Then there's the fun of setting up the tripod and focus rail, then incrementing by hand through lots of shots. (TEDIOUS) There are automated gadgets to do that last part, but expensive. Then there's the software ...

So they've made the serious stuff WAY easier. And made casual stuff possible
for the first time.

One of the beauties for me of digital is the way it lets me take chances that I wouldn't with film. Now, I'll be trying out stacked images that I wouldn't have bothered with before. And it's $ to donuts I'll get a few winners! If it takes a lot of time and effort, I'll only do it with "worthy" subjects, and it'll be boring.

Win Win Moose