Re: [OM] Mac/Photoshop performance advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Mac/Photoshop performance advice
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 13:30:37 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
No matter how many system RAM you assign to PS, it ALWAYS create a temp file on
disk during image editing. With a large image, the file will went to few GB
after a few edits. When you set the scratch disk to a "RAM disk" it runs much
faster and reduce the "write" to HDD or SSD which can extend the life of the
device.

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt [at]
chucknorcutt.com>

    I think I agree with all you say except giving memory to a RAM disk. It
would be much more efficient to just give all the RAM to Photoshop. There is an
old saying that nothing improves virtual memory performance like more real
memory. :-)
    Chuck Norcutt

Here is what Adobe says on scratch disk issue.  Makes sense to have as much
parallelism as possible to limit I/O bottle necks.  One of those little mSATA
SSD's for my laptop would be an  option.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Not sure when Ram disk would be clearly advantageous.   Only notice sluggish
performance with 24 GB RAM when re-rendering video in PS which I don't do that
much right now.  I usually only have a few layers for the average image though.

Mike