Re: [OM] Re-photography vs. scanning of slides

Subject: Re: [OM] Re-photography vs. scanning of slides
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:10:05 +0800
All films will fade, Kodachrome is much better in dark fading but most of my other slides faded to a certain extend after twenty something years. Negatives fade much more serious, the color negatives here processed with Fuji labs faded extremely serious in less than five years, with uneven fading in different areas, much more in dense areas. The one processed with Kodak labs last much longer, with more even fading and can be adjusted in post. It was too late with I started mass scanning in 2002 with my 4000ED but my LS10 in 1993 and LS2000 in 1998 was just not good enough for the job. I'm not a pro, most of my images are family shots and I value each of them.

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Lazzari" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Who votes for the scanner over re-photography or vice-versa and why?
First of all, why in the world would you scan everything? A task for a masochist. Get ruthless and cull 'em down to a reasonable number of keepers and do a quality scan with a film scanner. The other slides will keep .... until the big cull. Sorry to be so blunt but I have been starting to lighten my own load my save my daughter the trouble.

Mike