[OM] The Dying Grasp Lenses

Subject: [OM] The Dying Grasp Lenses
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:35:54 -0600
I've always said that the 35/2.8 and 100/2.8 were my dying grasp (and
gasp) lenses for the OM system, but will have to admit that they are
in very tight competition with the 28/2 and 100/2 lenses.

For B&W photography, I think the 35/2.8 and 100/2.8 are slightly
better in tonality and light/distance fall-off due to the inverse
bokeh, globular disgrovinator lens element.

As to sharpness, all four lenses are excellent. The 100/2 is obviously
in a league of its own in regards to color, contrast and overall bite,
and the bokeh is able to get the Moose Stamp of Approval.

My only real complaint with the 28/2 is that it is a bit too
over-corrected. The Look/Feel of the images don't quite have the same
"organic" look to them that the 35/2.8 have. While the 35/2.8 will
give traditional "old school" images that work so well with B&W film,
the 28/2 gives more of a punch that makes color film sing, but does
tend to cause shadow and highlight details to head towards the fences
without broadening the midtones.

Fortunately, the equipment shelf holds all of the above, so it's a
moot point, but it is something that I consider when I head out the
door with just one, two or three lenses. These days, it's the 28/2,
50/1.4 and 100/2 that get grabbed most of the time. If I'm taking a
bigger kit, I'll take the 24/2.8 and 200/4 along.

A side note on digital, though. The 28/2 works HORRIBLY on my digital
cameras. I get a central hot spot with it. The 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 work
great, but the 28/2 chokes.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx