Re: [OM] UK Copyright

Subject: Re: [OM] UK Copyright
From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:12:49 +0100 (CET)
As a practical matter, this matters only for commercial use of the
photograph. Nobody will ever prosecuted for posting his newly acquired
designer chair on Facebook.

Furthermore, there is a distinction between incidental inclusion of
protected items and those items being the main subject of the photograph.
So the idea that photo agencies will need to check all their images taken
inside for potential infringement is an exaggeration. Example: you publish
a portrait of a person in her living room. There is a copyright-protected
designer chair in the room, but clearly the main subject of the photograph
is the person, not the furniture. In that case the "incidental inclusion"
exception would apply.

Cheers,
Nathan (who breaks numerous laws on his websites...)

Op Di, 15 december, 2015 12:43, schreef Jez Cunningham:
> Will be interesting to see what Nathan has to say on the topic...
>
> On 15 December 2015 at 10:56, Wayne Harridge <
> wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Interesting concept !
>>
>> A problem for publishers of any sort of photography, video, etc. I
>> expect,
>> not much chance of enforcing it against Joe Bloggs who posts an image on
>> facebook, etc.
>>
>> The article is not clear about how this law will be applied:
>> 1. photograph the chair in the UK and publish in USofA ?
>> 2. the chair designed in the UK, photograph it in NZ and publish on the
>> internet ?
>> 3. what happens if you alter the chair (are you even allowed to do that
>> ?)
>> ?
>>
>> Bureaucracy gone mad !
>>
>> ...Wayne