Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture

Subject: Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:21:54 -0800
On 12/14/2015 9:16 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Ah, that is pretty unusual/extreme.  The rock sack method works well with
the 75-260 TX.

You are not dealing with the same problems. The OM 600 mm lens is a monster. And you are working with 4/3 cameras, with diaphragm mechanisms in the lens, actuated electrically based on signals from the camera body.

The OM diaphragm mechanism was, in my view, Maitani's big mechanical design mistake. Whether he did it to be purposely different than Nikon, I don't know. In any case, it's not the mirror or shutter, but the diaphragm mechanism, that's the big problem for vibration on OM bodies. Mirror lock-up disappears after the OM-1 because it doesn't do any real good. Starting with the OM-2s, mirror-aperture pre-fire killed the problem for most lenses, at the price of lost time and awkward use.

With the mirrors and vertical shutters of the 4/3 bodies, there is still some vibration to be dealt with, but nothing like OMs.

You've reminded me of my futile search for an ancient history accessory called a
"bean pod", which was a small pillow filled with styrofoam beads that you could
rest the lens or the entire camera on.  I did find something similar but the price was
outrageous.

You only do machine tools, not sewing machines? If you do make your own, Styrofoam is only effective at all used as you describe. To damp vibration with tripod use, you need different materials, draped over the top of lens/body.

Damped Moose