Re: [OM] OM-D upgrade, maybe

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D upgrade, maybe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 03:30:28 -0800
On 11/30/2015 2:11 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
I was looking at the seasonal deals in my local newspaper, and noticed some rather attractive Olympus prices: E-M5 Mark II, $850, E-M1, $900, and even the EM-10 Mark II $700 (figures rounded up to ignore penny games). And that got me to thinking, hmm, those are rather nice prices. While I like my original E-M5, I am getting a bit frustrated with the shutter shock and viewfinder lag.

So, I turn to the collective wisdom here. Those of you who have used the cameras or deeply explored the features lists (helloooooo, Moose), what thoughts might you have? Do both models alleviate the above things that frustrate me?

All three of the models you mention have EFC, so yes, they eliminate shutter shock and/or the 1/8 second delay to avoid it with the E-M5. They also have a silent mode using ESC, but that has it's own peculiarities.

And beyond that, what are the major differences, things that one has that the other doesn't? What made you decide to choose one over the other?

I'll probably miss something that isn't important to me, but is to someone else.

E-M1 has two things the M5 I doesn't.

1. That big grip, which you might like if you are using an auxiliary grip on
your 5.

2. Focus Stacking - in-camera eight shots stacked for greater DoF. (Both have focus Bracketing, which is more flexible, but requires doing the merging in post.)

E-M5 II has four things the M1 doesn't, two significant to me.

1. Significantly better IBIS, spectacularly so, in my experience as a macro and
super tele hound.

2. The High Resolution mode. Slow, tripod and stationary subjects only (for anything but experimental special effects), but amazing resolution ~= 40 MB and superior color accuracy. Whups the Nikon D900 with some subjects for both resolution and color 'cause it doesn't go all moiré.

3. Something for fancy video but I didn't really retain what I read about it.

4. A lower profile VF hump, as they have eliminated the now redundant connector
just below the hot shoe.

As far as I am concerned, the E-M5 II is the more capable camera for now. When/if the E-M1 II comes out with the improved IBIS and a HiRez mode that which only takes 1/60 sec to shoot the eight frames, as Oly has said they will do one day, it will be top dog again. Unless the 5 III gets the faster HR mode.

One very esoteric question: If I got the E-M5 Mark II, would my John Milich grip for the EM-5 Mark I fit on it, or has the shape changed significantly?

Looking at the pics on his site and the two bodies, I'm guessing no. He's made it very snug against the camera body. The grip on the II is slightly deeper and shaped differently. Looking at the pics on his site, I'd guess someone with a Dremel , a steady hand and patience could adapt it.

Super IBISed Moose