Re: [OM] [OT] Win10

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:49:12 -0800
On 11/29/2015 8:38 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
It's supposed to only be 'free' until next July, and only to users who have
Win7 or 8 licences.
After that one supposes they'll return to a more familiar pricing model but
who knows...

You weren't in marketing, I suppose. ;-)

If you put a time limit on a "special offer", you get far more early responses. IF MS has good reason to want rapid mass conversion to W10, a deadline is an important part of implementing that strategy. Other parts include the endless reminders, automatic downloads, etc.

For them to actually start charging after the year is up presumes that all the freebies were simple generosity, not part of a strategy to increase revenue and profit. Seems unlikely to me, but I've been wrong before. There's this simple business rule; you don't give things away unless it is expected to increase profits. If it doesn't, stockholders have good grounds to throw management out.

Oly does the same thing, endlessly, offering time limited discounts, followed by more time limited discounts. This last week was particularly silly. Look at B&H a minute before midnight Wednesday and various items were $50 off, with the deadline for that price writ large. Wait a couple of minutes, refresh the page, and the same items are $80-100 off. The deadline was for the opportunity to pay more!

Adobe offered an introductory special of $10/mo. for a year on the PS/LR package not because they wanted to raise it after a year, although they left that option open if their strategy failed. They did it to get the mass movement to their new sales/fulfillment strategy in its first three months. They are offering occasional specials for new subscriptions only, even below that through a few channels. I believe those will, in fact, go up after the promotional period.

Moose at the Market