Re: [OM] Speaking of Eyecups...

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Eyecups...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 07:04:41 -0500
Exit pupil diameter is given by diameter of the objective lens divided by magnification. The pupil diameter of the human eye varies from about 3mm in sunlight to about 7mm for the fully dark adapted eye. 7mm holds for younger folks. We old farts might not have such a large pupil any more.

Whenever the exit pupil of the scope or binoculars is larger than the pupil diameter the full light gathering ability of the objective lens is not being utilized. That's because the beam of light can't fit into our eye since the exit pupil diameter is greater than the pupil diameter.

The lesson is to not choose something large and heavy like 7x50 binoculars if your usage is going to be in bright daylight. 7x50 binoculars are called "night glasses" since they produce a 50/7 = 7mm exit pupil. But if you're using them in bright daylight your pupil diameter is only 3mm. You can get a 3mm exit pupil from a 7x21 binocular which in much smaller and lighter and the image will be just as bright.

Your Leupold 2-7x scope has a 33mm objective. The exit pupil ranges from 16.5mm to 4.7mm. You will probably find that maximum image brightness well before sunrise will be about 5x. Going to lower magnification will increase the angle of view but not the image brightness.

Chuck Norcutt