Re: [OM] OT: my vocation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: my vocation
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 19:11:30 +0000
I've heard incredible boners on local and national news programs lately.
And many (perhaps most) specimens of corporate and official texts are
equally poor. I also recently saw an incredible gaffe (on the website)
written by someone in the employ of the New York Times, leading me to
believe the Times' last experienced editor has either been fired, retired,
or has expired. I suspect that battle has already been lost, Bob.

While I mostly subscribe to the idea that grammar and spelling are
important skills, I've also been one who recognizes that language evolves,
and is bound to change. What I do not agree with, however, is the general
tolerance of the proliferation of Just Plain Ignorant.

As in photography, music, and most of the arts and crafts, one needs to
learn (and understand!) the rules before one is allowed to bend them.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Without Grammar Police on the ramparts, we soon would descend into lexical
> anarchy, and all would be forfeit.
>
> --Bob Whitmire
> Certified Neanderthal
>

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Charles Geilfuss <
> charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
>
> > All this reminds me of a ditty I heard years ago:
> >
> >   For all my friends so fond of correcting grammar,
> >   I'd love to give them a pat on the head,
> >   Preferably with a hammer.
> >
> > Charlie
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > A fellow List member kindly sent me this a couple of days ago.  I take
> it
> > > as a sort of compliment; well, in fun anyway:
> > >
> > > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19065 <
> > > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19065>
> > >
> > > I have it pinned on my noticeboard at work; my colleagues ask me for
> > > advice as they know that I am keen on good written English and many of
> > them
> > > are not good . . .
> >
> --
>
> --