Re: [OM] Hiya

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiya
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:43:55 +1100
I have had people comment that it looks like a museum. A common response is
“You have a great collection of cameras here.” I respond that it’s not a
collection, it’s stock. Everything is for sale. Then I explain more politely
that I’m carefully avoiding the ‘collector’ mindset - I’m a trader. You don’t
tell the staff at Safeway/Waitrose that they have a great collection of food!
I started this with a friend who then backed out. (He is also Andrew which
explains the apostrophe position for the more observant pedants here. One
problem was that he IS a collector. I realised that when something interesting
came in (rare model Leotax anyone?) then we were looking at it in different
ways. He was thinking, ‘I’d like to keep that.’ I was thinking, ‘What price can
I put on that once it’s cleaned and serviced.’ I like the stuff too but it’s
merchandise, not objects of veneration. I have a word for collectors - I call
them ‘customers’. :-)
Worst case - I had a guy in the shop who was looking for a good Hasselblad SWC,
an expensive wide angle model. I rang a friend who collects Hasselblad -did he
have one he’d be prepared to sell? “No,” he replied, “I’m down to my last six.”
Not a joke and he protested that they were all different! (Yeah, different
serial numbers!) These are worth $3-4K each!
So I’m not a collector - but I do have a few things that are seriously
overpriced. But they are still for sale if someone is prepared to pay.
Anyone here into Olympus PEN F? - I do have some choice items at the moment,
including the 42mm f1.2!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.soultheft.com