Re: [OM] Ugly truths about EXIF date/times [was: Utility to batch correc

Subject: Re: [OM] Ugly truths about EXIF date/times [was: Utility to batch correct date/time of Raw files?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 16:55:04 -0800
On 11/1/2015 4:34 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
I'm toying with the notion of going to GMT, or, as I know it, Zulu Time, on
my cameras. I believe it was Piers who first mentioned that. But then it's
easy when your time zone coincides with Zulu.

Yeah, Zulu time to me, too, one of the least troublesome remainders of the US
military.

I'm not going that way for a couple of reasons. One is that I tend to think about light when I look at images, and time of day is a crucial part of that relationship to the image. Sure, I can think what time of year it was, and add 7 or 8 hours in my head. But by then, I've left the affective relationship to the image(s) and gone into intellectual space.

The other reason is geocoding. I've been doing that for several years and thousands of images. Most of that effort was speculation on future usefulness, with modest, but certainly useful, immediate payoff. Now with the recent capabilities of LR's Map mode, it's paying off beautifully. I haven't yet got around to starting the process of keywording my images, but the geographical view of them has solved a lot of things I thought only a major effort at keywording would do.

Sooo, getting the GMT and offset in the geotrack files in sync with the time in the image files is important to me. Sure, I can set the offset in the process of coding, but I somehow like having the 'real' times.

Spinning Globe Moose