Re: [OM] Windows 10

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows 10
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:54:58 -0700
Another vote for GWX control panel. It allows you to stop the nagging without stopping the other automatic updates, which might be needed security patches. As a bonus, Windows now starts significantly faster on my PC.

You may find a hidden folder in the root of your system drive: C:\$Windows.~BT You can only see this if you've configured Explorer to show hidden files and folders. This folder is for all the windows 10 upgrade files. If the folder has only a few Megabytes in it, no big deal. But many people, me included, are finding that it contains about 6 Gigabytes, which means that MS has kindly downloaded the entire Win10 package, and is just waiting for the word from you to upgrade. I did not ask them to do this. But they did it anyway. I was wondering why I had used up more than twice as much disk space this year as last. Evidently MS' desire to "create a better user experience" overrides my wishes.

I may very well upgrade eventually. But not now, when a couple of my principal applications have significant issues. Plus, it appears that Win10 is MS' platform that will eventually enforce its "perpetual rent payments" model for its software (cf. Adobe). And to spy on your habits just like Google and the mobile phone apps do now.

Increasingly, it's not your computer any more. It's their computer. They let you use it, but only if you give up all pretense to it being your computer, and let them do anything they want with it. And to you.

--Peter

Chuck Norcutt sez: