Re: [OM] Depression Era Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Depression Era Photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:15:29 -0500
> It looks like a Huttl model from the 1920s-1930s (German), possibly with an
> Eb crook in place of the F tuning slide.  Definitely a rotary valve model.
> While the one in the photo is a double horn, the only reference photo I could
> find is of a single-horn model.  You can see the similarities.
>
> http://hornmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/n739871348_1240397_1010.jpg

Yes! That looks similar. I knew that there were German variants that
were shaped pretty differently. Of course, there were some that had
the linear valves, But I think this one is rotary.

Speaking of French horns, DD#2 also plays the French Horn. She's a
senior in high school and first chair everything. Section lead,
teacher's pet., etc. I'm helping her build a "hose horn". It's a
length of garden hose and a funnel coiled upped and painted like a
French Horn. My sister (also a Horn player) made one years ago. It's
actually very playable.

Norton humour.

AG