[OM] Meet Charlie G.

Subject: [OM] Meet Charlie G.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:29:19 -0400
Charlie G:  <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19011>

My wife and I went to Charleston for a couple of days. On the first night there we also met up with Charlie Geilfuss across the Cooper River from Charleston in Mt. Pleasant, SC. We had an excellent dinner at the Basil Thai Restaurant at modest cost. Unfortunately, Charlie's wife was not able to make it so we didn't meet her.

While in Charleston we took 2 horse drawn historical tours operated by Classic Carriage Works (managed by Tina Manley's son Tim). Highly recommended. The first was a broad brush historical tour of the city... it was excellent. The second was a tour focused on the Civil War... it was superb. Ask for Matt on that tour. He's a walking encyclopedia on the war except that he's anything but boring like an encyclopedia. Charleston, of course, is where the war started. Matt could probably talk for hours about who, how and why.

Incidentally, while Charleston experienced a lot of scattered flooding from the storm associated with hurricane Juaquin, by the time we got there there was little evidence of it. The drive down to Charleston (about 2 hours) was also problem free except for losing about 20 minutes to a large traffic backup about 20 minutes from home. The southbound lanes of US 17 had a couple of inches of water running across them for about 50 yards. Traffic had to cross slowly using only the left hand lane. It doesn't take long for traffic to back up when using only one lane at 5 mph on a 60 mph highway.

Chuck Norcutt