Re: [OM] Nothing beautiful in Indiana?

Subject: Re: [OM] Nothing beautiful in Indiana?
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 11:46:39 -0500
On 10/5/15 11:38 : , Ken Norton wrote:
Steel mills? They still have steel mills? Working?
Sorry, I forgot. It's all chemical plants around there now.

AG
Actually, you're wrong.

Yes, we still have mills. Not producing at the same levels as in the "glory days", but still there. A number have consolidated under one new owner. The mini-mill where my wife worked as purchasing agent for years under Greek ownership was sold to Russians about 4 years ago, and is now part of a larger firm headquartered in Pennsylvania. Two years ago Corporate decided to flush out the majority of the office staff that had worked under the previous owners, including Sheri, and attempt to do most of their functions either remotely or by forcing the remaining people to take on two or three additional duties.

The big mills are hurting, and when the major part of the economy of a region is based on those mills and all of the support industries, it hurts when things crash. Gary, which at one time was booming and a hotspot of entertainment and weekend getaway for wealthy Chicagoans, is a shadow with rotting mansions.

We don't really have chemical plants - there's the Praxair gas refinery and the big Whiting, IN BP refinery, but that's about it.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie