Re: [OM] The Emergency Rodeo

Subject: Re: [OM] The Emergency Rodeo
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:50:41 -0400
And I think the horse should be entered into a hurdles race.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/28/2015 10:00 AM, David Young wrote:
Good Morning, all!

I've been absent from the list for a while ... traveling, etc. Nice to be back.

In the next valley over, there is the small town of Falkland, BC.  A town of
about 250 souls, who put on one of the best and longest running (come spring,
98 years, without interruption), rodeos in Canada, every May long-weekend.

Thus summer, the roof on their community center failed and they needed to raise money to have it
replaced before winter.  So, they did what they do best ... last Saturday, they staged an
"emergency rodeo".  Actually, they called the "Raising the Roof" rodeo, but
that's beside the point.

Turnout was small, with perhaps 500 to 600 spectators ... down from the usual
3,000 or so, in the spring. So the ability to go anywhere and get a good shot
was excellent.

All the best cowboys turned up, because it was a "sanctioned" (BCRA) rodeo.
And being so late in the season (after the BC finals had been held), it was classed as
the first rodeo of the 2016 season!  (Nothing like an early start!)

They added an event I'd heard of, but never before seen.  The "Ranch-Hand Ride".  It is open to
ranch-hands....  working cowboys who normally do not participate in rodeos. They bring their every-day
working saddle and put it on a bucking bronc.  (This is why you'll see ropes in the photos ... something not
permitted in "normal" rodeo bronc riding.  (If bronc riding can ever be considered
"normal".)

The main difference, is that a "regular" bronc rider must ride with one hand free.  The
'ranch-hands' cannot hold on to the saddle, but they can hold on to their rope, which is secured
through what they call a "night latch" on the saddle.

This one chap amazed me.  It's rare, but over my many years of shooting rodeos,
 I've seen the odd horse buck before it gets out of the chute ... but never
like this.

More importantly, when it has happened, the rider invariably falls off.  When
you look at the photo, you'll see why. The fear, of course, is that the rider
will fall off, and the horse will fall, pinning him to the steel rails.

This ranch-hand not only stayed on, but went on to complete his 8 second ride ... one of the few
"qualified" rides of the day!  Frankly, I think he should turn "pro"!

Despite appearances, neither the horse, nor rider, were hurt in any way.
Something that cannot be said of some of the other riders.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Wild-Ride.html

Enjoy!

David.

---