Re: [OM] IMG: In Keeping With the Battle of Britain on OM List

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: In Keeping With the Battle of Britain on OM List
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:31:26 -0500
> “Floating” is the action of a buoyant object, for instance, on the surface of
> a liquid.  To describe something as "floating in front of my face", such as
> an apparition or a feather in breeze, is a figurative use of the word, not
> literal.
>
> So the HUD is there, but it’s not “floating” in the literal sense of the word.

Ah, so we have a literal misunderstanding of figurative terms. The HUD
information is literally displayed in a virtual simulation of reality
in front of the pilot. Figuratively speaking, that's the cat's meow.

If the display of information is actually visible to the human eye,
then it is literal. However, if the display of information isn't
actually visible to the human eye, but is used as a figure of speech,
then it would be figurative. Figurative would be thoughts planted in
the head in relation to the information being conveyed. But in this
case, while the eye is being fooled into thinking something is there
that really isn't there, it is an optical trick of placing the virtual
into the literal.

Or something like that...

AG (your virtual friend, figuratively speaking) Schnozz