Re: [OM] IMG: A Puzzler for Cessna Buffs

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Puzzler for Cessna Buffs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:05:35 -0500
> Yeah, tail draggers are the preferred configuration for short, back-country
> strips, but 182s, with their additional horsepower, are no slouch, either.

Trikes are a lot better than they used to be because now you can get
some seriously big tires on them. You don't have to go HUGE with the
nose gear, but having something a big larger diameter and wider than
the average city-slicker Cessna will give it enough float to keep from
diving in. It's just an opposite thing during takeoff and landing
where you are pulling on the controls rather than pushing on the
controls.

Maule is a manufacturer of some fantastic bush planes. What is
surprising is how popular the trike gear is with them. That nose gear
is just about indestructible. The trike versions are a little slower
than the tail-draggers, but the insurance is usually lower. Oh, a lot
of the Maule trikes are also outfitted with a tailwheel just in case
you get a bit aggressive on takeoff or landing. And the Maules are
quite affordable.

If I do get wild and crazy in a couple of years and go get my
licenses, I would very likely buy a Maule to get all my hours in. It's
also an outstanding platform for aerial photography.

AG