[OM] A new use for Photoshop's de-haze tool

Subject: [OM] A new use for Photoshop's de-haze tool
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:58:09 -0400
Perhaps this has already been discovered by someone else but, if so, I'm unaware of it.

A couple of days ago I was presented with a flash photo of a couple taken at a fairly dark restaurant by a person across the table from them. The flash took a pretty bad toll on the couple's faces and eyes.

Both people were wearing glasses and the flash created a lot of glare over the eyes. I was able to recover the eyes by methods I'm long familiar with (healing brush and patch tools along with moving and reversing all or part of an unaffected eye to replace the affected eye).

However, the too bright skin of nose, forehead, chin and cheeks is a problem of another sort. The affected areas of the skin weren't completely blown but clearly needed some work. Also, the amount of work varied considerably as the brightness varied across the face.

As I was studying the image trying to figure out how best to fix it it suddenly occurred to me that the too bright areas of skin had an appearance very much like atmospheric haze... extremely bright but with detail still visible underneath.

To fix it I added a second layer and hit the top layer with the ACR dehazing tool. (Thanks, Moose, for teaching me to use it as a filter). Of course the dehazing tool affected the entire layer so I added a mask, painted the mask black to display the image underneath and then used a white paintbrush at medium opacity to gradually recover the dehazed parts of the image that needed it. It turned out great. Incidentally, I did not completely remove the bright areas on the face but merely toned them down dramatically. It still looks like a flash picture (as it should) but one that was done well.

Unfortunately, for personal reasons related to those in the picture, I'm not at liberty to show you the images.

Anyhow, just take it on my word that the process works. I suspect there may be many other instances where overexposure has taken a toll on parts of an image and the same technique would apply.

Chuck Norcutt