[OM] OT: DUI Encounter

Subject: [OM] OT: DUI Encounter
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:30:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I have a tendency to help out in traffic accidents, expecially if injuries
are involved.  Yesterday evening I was setting up my rain gauge for an incoming
storm when I herd a terrific crash noise from the main street about 500 feet
away.  It did not sound like your typical fender bender.  So, I went over to
see if any first-aid help was needed.

     The accident was pretty bad, one of the worst I had seen.  A southbound
vehicle had gone into the northbound lanes and hit a van head-on.  The van had
then careening into a side street and a number of people were already helping
with that one.  The other vehicle was sitting in the middle of the street
overlapping the northbound lanes.  It was in a state of traumatic disassembly
with parts and fluids evereywhere and the driver slumped over the steering
wheel.  Nobody was assisting that one.  I went over to check him out and the
driver immediately became physically combative.  He would not stay seated in
the car and then tried to light a ciragette.  I took that away from him as
there was a smell of gasoline.  He then forced his way out of the car and took
a swing at me, hitting me in the chest and screaming that he had been
assaulted.  I got into his face and he became less combative, and then I saw
his eyes.  They were fully dilated, showing that he was seriously DUI.  We all
bac
 ked off and just made sure that he didn't run.

     The cops arrived and took him aside for questioning.  When two cops
approached me and asked what had happened, he started yelling and screaming
that we were all liars.  The one cop said that it would be okay if I left
before things got worse.  Paramedics were putting the occupants of the van on
back boards as I left.

     I've never encountered an accident with a DUI before, and this was a bit
of an eye-opener.

     Then I get up this morning and learn that a TV news reported and her
cameraman in Virginia were shot and killed while taping a live interview.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson