[OM] Upcoming fun

Subject: [OM] Upcoming fun
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:42:40 -0500
The wife and I leave for an Alaskan cruise on the 2nd. While we never spend
the money for a balcony room when we're in the Caribbean, figuring that
it's a waste of money to stare at endless water, an Inside Passage cruise
has plenty of scenery.

So, I'm also packing the tripod so I can use the 75-300 as we cruise by
mountains and stuff while sitting on our balcony.  We're taking a small
handful of excursions so there will be plenty of photo ops. I'm going to
take the train ride up into the mountains as well.

This is our 25th anniversary cruise, something we had planned for a couple
of years and were planning on taking three years ago on our actual 25th
anniversary, except the hospital chose that time frame to move into the new
building, so all vacations were canceled.

Then we booked this cruise back in December. And then I got laid off... but
we decided that since we had already paid for the thing, screw it, we're
going anyway. I wasn't going to let the hospital cheat me out of two
anniversary cruises. We're being conservative, but still going to have fun.

One thing I'm getting - Demb Flash Products has designed a slip-on
mirror/diffusion card for the E-M5 popup flash for less than $20. I've
realized that for a walkaround setup, often what's needed in a dim light is
just enough fill to make a person's face "pop", but the popup is harsh. The
little diffusion card is exactly what I need. I'll see what the results
look like after the first couple of shots, but the samples on his website
look respectable. That way, I don't need to bring the FL-600 and Fong salad
bown in the day bag.

Oh, and today is our actual anniversary. 28 years and counting. It's a
tough time now because both of us are without full-time employment, but
we'll make it through.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie