[OM] OT: Got Heat?

Subject: [OM] OT: Got Heat?
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 06:54:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     We're under an excessive heat advisory out here until Sunday evening.
Yesterday the high was 114F (45.6C) and it will repeat that today.  Saturday
will be 112F and Sunday will be 113F.  The low this morning at my house and at
the airport was 94:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=psr&sid=KPHX&num=72

     What's remarkable about this is that the relative humidity and dew point
have dropped down to May and June pre-monsoon levels.  This is the driest
monsoon I have experienced out here.

     Now there's mention in the news of an upcoming "Godzilla El Niño":

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/noaa-warning-that-godzilla-el-nino-could-hit-u-s/

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-el-nino-20150813-htmlstory.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/08/13/432099022/scientists-say-we-could-be-heading-into-godzilla-el-ni-o

     We've been in a strong El Niño condition for over a year now:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/soi2.shtml

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

and what we've seen from it so far is a deepening of the drought in California,
and at the same time the lack of tropical cyclones in the Atlantic is creating
similar drought conditions in Puerto Rico:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/puerto_rico_drought_el_nino_tourism_local_water_restrictions/51647356

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson