Re: [OM] [OT] Wireless Printer

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Wireless Printer
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:50:07 +0000
Somewhat justified, Charlie. Just went through this with a friend. Set up
the printer for her in one location, and when she went home, it was
confused by a different network setting. The fix (at least on Linux) was
simple. Just run the printer app's properties choice, and it correctly
detected and listed the printer. Hit apply and we were good to go.

I would think that there should be something similar for Windows or Macs,
where the properties settings of the MS, or Apple, or HP provided app
should allow for easily re-detecting the printer. It may be made even
easier if you're given the opportunity to provide some sort of unique name
to the printer, as it would avoid potential confusion with the collection
of default manufacturer's device names that might be encountered in a dorm.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Charles Geilfuss <
charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    My daughter is headed off to college soon and we purchased an HP 4500
> wireless printer for her. I had the thought of getting it set up before she
> goes off to school. There is no manual (just a piece of paper that says to
> go to xyz.com/setup and follow the instructions) but I believe it works
> through WiFi (i.e. not a direct communication between laptop and printer)
> and I am concerned if I set it up at home through our wifi, that when she
> gets to school the thinkum-dinkum will get confused when it sees another
> wifi network. Are my fears justified? Any advice would be helpful.
>
> Charlie
> --
>
> --
---