[OM] Recent Olympus m4/3 show and tell

Subject: [OM] Recent Olympus m4/3 show and tell
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:04:58 -0400
A couple of weeks ago, one of our bricks-and-mortar stores held a session to sample many of the Oly m4/3 cameras and lenses. About 20 people, many Oly users, attended, together with three people from Oly USA/Canada.

We got to try: the pro lenses (8, 7-14, 12-40, 40-150, 1.4TC), the primes (12, 25 and 75 at least), the 75-300, together with the E-M1 and E-M5II, in an totally unstructured setting.

Despite what's been written, I didn't find the pro lenses that big. Yes, they're bigger than the kit lenses or primes but that's old news. The 8mm is clearly bigger than my Boyer 7.5, but at least it's much easier to keep fingers out of the frame.

While I quickly tried all the pro lenses, I was most interested in the 40-150 (+/-TC). This lens is certainly not a walkabout lens. However, it would seem to be perfectly reasonable (in size and weight) to be used at sports events, airshows etc. Not really any bigger or heavier than my Tamron 180/2.5 with 1.4TC.

I finally tried the 75-300, which I'd avoided in the past given its slowness. Have to admit that I was impressed with the solid feel of the lens and the grab shots taken in the store at various focal lengths.

As far as the bodies were concerned, I was most interested in the upgraded EVF (compared to my E-M5). These EVFs were noticeably sharper, no doubt helped by the attached pro lenses.

Unfortunately, Oly recently adjusted the Canadian prices to reflect our falling dollar, so I've been taking my anti-GAS pills regularly.

Martin