Re: [OM] Killing Content

Subject: Re: [OM] Killing Content
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:53:05 -0700
On 8/10/2015 12:38 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
So, here is the deal. I'm working on the new version of the Zone-10
website (not the gallery) and I'm wondering about what content to just
toss out the window.

Obviously, the lens tests and some of the reviews stay put because
they are linked to all the time and generate revenue, but where do I
draw the line?

Do I just keep the old site up in perpetuity or just migrate the stuff
that interests me and kill the rest?

Probably half the stuff is DOA, it's not evergreen. I would only do
the stuff that is evergreen, but where do you say "enough is enough?"

I just wandered through some of the older material. Of my Moose Monday columns, several are totally out of date and should be dumped. Others, maybe half or a bit more, are just as timely and accurate today as in 2007-8, whether of interest for the new site or not. Bob's columns are also rather evergreen, other than the first. Candace's series never interested me except as some personal narrative from an imaginary friend. It seems the Krzyzanowski stuff is missing any images? I personally never "got" him.

Seems to me the biggest problem with the existing site is the organization. I really have no idea if there is anything worthwhile to read or keep in the "Articles" and "Photo Essay" sections, because I don't have the patience to wade through page after page to see if a title or image looks interesting.

You REALLY need some form of indexing.

Same thing with the biographies. I think I started the Adams bio, but the split into separate parts and excessive paging defeated me.

My Thoughts Moose