Re: [OM] IMG: Globe/Temco Swifts

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Globe/Temco Swifts
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:05:53 -0500
They do provide good subjects for photos.

I read two accounts from the designers as to why the slots were there. One said it was because the Culver Cadet had them, as did several other aircraft of its time. Stinsons come to mind. The other account, sounding facetious, said that the slot made good handgrips to allow two persons to move the aircraft.

Personally, I've never flown one or in one. I've had two friends who owned and flew them, both engineers. They were very happy with the way they flew. If I were buying one, I would prefer to have the slots open. In a short-coupled airplane, the earlier you can feel a stall warning burble from the inner wing, the better you can handle the situation. The slots just guarantee that the outer portion of the wing will keep flying as the inner portion gives up.

Thus saith the engineer................ :-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA